The main goal of the ENEXAL project is to provide primary aluminium industry with innovative technological and economical solutions, focusing on the:
- Significant improvement of energy and exergy efficiencies of the production process
- Substantial reduction of GHG emissions
- Complete elimination of the solid wastes
In order to achieve this goal, the ENEXAL project will demonstrate three novel technologies for the improvement of the primary aluminium production industry, which in sort are:
- The red mud treatment in an innovative electric arc furnace (EAF), which will allow the total conversion of the red mud waste of the Bayer Process into valuable products, thereby increasing by 10 percentage points the exergy efficiency of the Bayer Process and eradicating its substantial environmental footprint (today approximately 2 kg of red mud are produced for every kg of primary aluminium).
- The high temperature carbothermic reduction of alumina in an EAF, which will achieve up to 10% energy savings and up to 65% reduction in GHG emissions compared to Best Available Techniques currently used in industry.
- The moderate temperature carbothermic reduction of alumina in a novel solar furnace, which can achieve up to 68% energy savings and up to 65% reduction in GHG emissions compared to Best Available Techniques currently used in industry.
This project is funded under the EU FP7 programme.